Monday, August 13, 2007

So, my mother is going to be a priest

But first she has to be ordained as a deacon (I think) and that big event happens on Friday. Many months ago, she requested my presence and it would break her heart if I didn't show up. But I don't really want to. First of all, logistically, it's going to be a nightmare. The service is at 7 pm and the church is about 90 miles from where we live. That's normally about an hour and a half. But since it will be a Friday night in summer at rush hour, I'm guessing thousands of my fellow suburbanites will be heading up north for the weekend. A big portion of the northbound road that I take is a two lane highway and I'm sure it will be packed and slow. So we're going to have to leave around 4 pm and hope that's leaving enough time. Of course, Jeff will not be home from work by four, so I will be on my own. He may take pity on me and skip out of work early, but that's not always possible, so I'm not counting on him being able to come. Four is also too early for dinner, so I'll have to stop somewhere to get the kids something to eat - probably McDonald's (yuck) just to keep them happy and as mess-free as possible. So that adds more time. Oh, and mom's also asked Alyssa and Brendan to hand out programs, so we have to be there a little early.

So assuming we make it there on time and not covered in ketchup, we have to sit through a church service (no idea how long it will be, but I'm guessing about an hour or so), which wouldn't be that difficult if I didn't have a 16 month old to contend with. Church is about the very last place I would ever want to take him right about now. I know I'm going to be chasing him all over for however long it lasts and getting really irritated with him. And finally, that time of the day is dangerously close to bedtime, which doesn't bode well for his behavior. Can you tell I'm really, really not looking forward to it?

Afterward, there will be some kind of reception, but I'm going to have to get out of there as soon as possible, mostly because of Lucas. That won't make the other two (aka Grandma's biggest fans) happy. From past experience, I bet the drive home will just be miserable. You would think Lucas would fall asleep in the car at bedtime, but no, he doesn't. At least with Jeff driving, I can do some things to help, but if I have to do the driving by myself.... yeah, not fun.

Now on to the bigger picture. I'm not too thrilled for this experience because having a mom as a priest (or deacon or whatever), is just.... strange. It's something that she's been working on for a long time, but honestly I never thought anything would come of it. The thought of her up there preaching kind of creeps me out. It's just not a "grandma" thing to do. It's a fine thing to do, I guess, but I don't really want to be involved too closely.

I suppose it doesn't help that I'm not a church-goer. It's not that I don't believe in the teachings of the church (it's Protestant - Episcopalian, by the way), most of them anyway. But I was forced to go as a kid and I didn't like it. As an adult, I tried it again and still didn't like it, so I don't go. So when I do go, I feel cynical and hypocritical. The kids like to go with Grandma and that's fine, good even, because I think they should be exposed to some religion.

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to the whole thing. And this isn't even that "big" event - that happens in February. I suppose I should get used to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home